Local Activities: Carlsbad, California Area Events and Activities
- Agua Hedionda Lagoon Carlsbad has a number of beautiful attractions and one of the more natural jewels is the Agua Hedionda Lagoon. This 400-acre lagoon is home to a wide array of flora, fauna, sea life, and birds. Visitors to the area and locals alike appreciate the Agua Hedionda Lagoon and its water resources through a YMCA day camp, recreational boating, a mussel and abalone aquaculture facility, a white-sea bass hatchery, and a power generating plant. The Agua Hedionda Lagoon works hard to maintain a healthy ecosystem and habitat including wildlife and marine life, while at the same time balancing the need for public access, trails and recreational opportunities. [Driving directions to the Agua Hediona Lagoon from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- ARCO Olympic Training Center Chula Vista Olympic Training Center, opened in June 1995, rests on a 155-acre complex adjacent to Lower Otay Reservoir in San Diego County. The Center has sport venues and support facilities for the Olympic sports of archery, BMX, canoe/kayak, cycling, field hockey, rowing, soccer, softball, tennis, track & field and triathlon. Athletes are chosen to train the CVOTC by their respective sport Federation or National Governing Body (NGB). The CVOTC offers support to athletes including housing, dining, training facilities, local transportation, recreational facilities, athlete services and professional development programs. The Chula Vista Olympic Training Center benefits thousands of Olympic hopefuls, and also serves local youth and citizens nationwide. Thousands of student-athletes and coaches gain access to the Chula Vista OTC for clinics and competitions when venues are not being utilized by Olympic athletes in training. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to the Chula Vista Olympic Training Center.] Families of students, athletes and coaches with events and training at the ARCO Olympic Training Center have been welcomed regularly by the staff at Ocean Palms Beach Resort, one of the finest hotels in Carlsbad, CA. The location, steps from the beach and in easy access to all manner of training terrain, has been heralded by visitors who intend to visit family or friends, or attend training events at the ARCO Olympic Training Center. Athletes who have specialized dietary restrictions have expressed satisfaction with stays at Ocean Palms Beach Resort because their high-end and mini-suites, even romantic studios, have functional kitchens with microwaves, stoves, ovens and refrigerators ... inherently useful for athletes. [See the room types available at Ocean Palms Beach Resort.] If you need a nice workout while on property, to possibly reduce the impact of gastrtic indulgences, know that there's a nice fitness center overlooking the heated outdoor pool and spa.
- Batiquitos Lagoon Another natural jewel of Carlsbad for vacationers to enjoy is the Batiquitos Lagoon, a 610 acre lagoon with a drainage basin of about 55,000 acres. The location has a Nature Center, a short walk from the end of Gabbiano Lane in Carlsbad, and a two mile-long walking and hiking trail. It starts just east of Interstate 5, just a few miles away from Ocean Palms Beach Resort, at the end of Gabbiano Lane and goes most of the way to El Camino Real on the east end of the lagoon. There are five public parking lots providing access to the trail, one by the Nature Center, and four on Batiquitos Drive. Vacationers staying at Ocean Palms Beach Resort, one of the finest hotels in Carlsbad, CA, have easy access to the Lagoon and also enjoy the great comfort of their personal vacation getaway's beautifully-designed rooms and suites. [Driving directions from the Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Batiquitos Lagoon.] The trail does allow leashed dogs, so visitors staying at Ocean Palms Beach Resort with their furry best friends can have a lovely place to enjoy nature. [Read more about pet-friendly Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Beach Fest More than 12,000 people are expected at the fifth annual Carlsbad Beach Fest™ to be held on June 9, 2012 on one mile of beach, stretching from Pine Avenue to Tamarack State Beach. The festival features competitive sporting events, live music on multiple stages, food, green product vendors, kite-flying, sand-sculpting, a health and safety expo, opportunity drawings and prizes, a massive beach cleanup, and much more.
- Bicycling Whether you are new to cycling or an old pro, there is a route in Carlsbad that's right for you. The area has a number of easy, rolling coastal hills with lots of oceanfront eye-candy to enjoy. There is a number of bicycle clubs in the area that welcome vacationing visitors to join them for fun and fitness, speed training and specific distance rides that show off the jewel that is Carlsbad in the midst of the north county coastline. The Ocean Palms Beach Resort welcomes vacationing bicyclers, and we even have a cadre of our own Ocean Palms Beach Resort custom bike cruisers available for touring the area -- Carlsbad Flower Fields, Del Mar Racetrack, Carlsbad Village, Oceanside and the Carlsbad Outlet Mall included. Bicycling is the perfect activity for an active Carlsbad seaside vacation, and our location on Ocean Street in Carlsbad, CA is a perfect starting-off or stopping place for vacationers who enjoy bicycling. Know that we have our own fitness center overlooking a heated outdoor pool conveniently located on-site.
- Birch Aquarium at ScrippsVacationing in Southern California? Be sure to stay at Ocean Palms Beach Resort before you go to Birch Aquarium at Scripps to see their new exhibit: Boundless Energy. The interactive exhibit celebrates innovative ways we can use natural forces to power our lives. Everyone loves the aquarium, but the new exhibit will add something to your vacation getaway or holiday as you learn more about renewable energy of wind, sun and waves. At Ocean Palms Beach Resort, just steps from the sea, we follow renewable energy topics and attempt to be responsible, nature-conscious hosts with our planet's best interest at the heart of what we do for ourselves, our vacationing guests. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Birch Aquarium at Scripps.]
- Calendar - Camp Pendleton
- Calendar - San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Carlsbad beaches In Carlsbad, beaches are as much a part of its identity as its fabulous southern California location. South Carlsbad State Beach stretches from La Costa Avenue to Palomar Airport Road and includes a popular 220-site camping area (be sure to make reservations far in advance) and two day-use areas. Located just 4.7 miles from Ocean Palms Beach Resort, a 10-minute car ride away [map and directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort], the South Carlsbad State Beach includes North of the Ponto, South Ponto and Terramar beaches. South Ponto beach has restrooms, showers and paid parking.
Carlsbad State Beach, is to the north, located even closer to Ocean Palms Beach Resort. This beach runs from Pine Street south to Cannon Road and is one of San Diego’s most popular beaches. It contains Frazee State Beach, also known as Tamarack Surf Beach [map and directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort], and Warm Water Jetty (in front of the power plant). The beautiful Carlsbad State Beach is accessible from Pine, Sycamore, Maple, Cherry, and Tamarack Avenues. Dogs on leashes are allowed up top, but not on the lower path near the water. Public restrooms and showers are at both ends of the path.
Beaches north of Pine Avenue to the Oceanside border are jointly owned by the state and the coastal property owners along that stretch. All are open to the public, and the City of Carlsbad provides public access to the beach at Carlsbad Village Drive (directly across the street from Ocean Palms Beach Resort which is steps away from the resort), Grand Avenue, Christiansen Way, Beech Avenue and Rue des Chateaux. Beaches in north Carlsbad do not have lifeguard services, restrooms, showers or other amenities. Fortunately, those staying at Ocean Palms Beach Resort can use its outdoor rinse-off shower and they have the great comfort of their personal vacation getaway's beautifully-designed rooms and suites at Ocean Palms Beach Resort at their disposal. [See the room types available at Ocean Palms Beach Resort.] Check out our newest Luxury Studio web page so see how beautiful our remodeled and refreshed rooms really are!
- Carlsbad by the Sea Visiting family or friends at Carlsbad by the Sea? Ocean Palms Beach Resort is located one block away, in easy strolling distance of the beautiful continuing care retirement community which was built in classic California mission style. Visitors staying at Ocean Palms Beach Resort have commented that it's a real comfort to be able to stay in a hotel just a few steps away from their beloved family members who call Carlsbad by the Sea their home base. They also appreciate the kitchens within the mini-suites and even romantic studios because extended stays are more comfortable if you have access to your own kitchen, microwave, oven, stove and refrigerator. [See the room types available at Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Carlsbad Coaster Station In the Village of Carlsbad, just three blocks away from Ocean Palms Beach Resort, is the Carlsbad Coaster Station. There, you can hop on the Coaster, the North County light rail commuter solution to see the sights and travel to exciting events in downtown San Diego.... without needing a car. [See the new spring-summer schedule here.] The Coaster has pre- and post-Padre home game transportation options to consider, perfect for Ocean Palms Beach Resort visitors who would like to take in a day or evening home game during their summer vacation getaway stay. Go Padres! Other exciting attractions of San Diego include the Gas Lamp District, Petco Park, Old Town, and Seaport Village. Vacationers staying in one of the studios, mini- and luxury-suites at the Hawaii-inspired Ocean Palms Beach Resort can also choose explore North San Diego County's diverse inland areas by taking the Coaster to the Oceanside station, then transferring to the North County Transit District east-west SPRINTER, a separate light rail train system that runs between Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, and Escondido. The 22-mile long rail system runs east-west – along the Highway 78 corridor. It serves 15 stations.
- Carlsbad 5000 This April 1, Southern California's favorite 5K (5000) celebrates its 27th birthday. The fast, fun seaside course has had the good fortune to be the location where 16 world records have been set. Rookie runners and serious speedsters alike enjoy running or walking in one of seven people's races. Elite athletes from all over the world convene here to vie for a lucrative prize purse and maybe even a new world record. Ocean Palms Beach Resort welcomes spectators and runners alike at its comfortable, welcoming location which has several romantic studios to choose from and a wealth of mini and posh luxury two-bedroom suites. All suites at Ocean Palms Beach Resort feature the convenience of their very own kitchen, which we have been told by competing athletes that they really appreciate. The location is just steps from the beach for post-race reflection and serious relaxation. [See the room types available at Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Carlsbad Flower Festival Carlsbad is known for the eye-popping display of the Giant Tecolote Ranunculus at the Carlsbad Flower Fields, a display that lasts for six to eight weeks, usually encompassing the month of March. This year, for the first time, the color pattern of the fields will change. The professional colorist at its helm promises a spectacular display for Carlsbad locals and vacation travelers alike. The venue has several themed gardens and a new Sweet Pea maze designed to delight visitors of all ages. A season pass is $20 for adults, $18 for seniors and $10 for children ages three to 10. Single visits are exactly half each of the prices mentioned above for each age-group; $10, $9 and $5, respectively. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to the Flower Fields.]
- Carlsbad Historical Society Ocean Palms Beach Resort guests who are interested in learning more about Carlsbad and its rich agriultural and architectural history can have their curiosity sated at the Carlsbad Historical Society's museum and archives located in The Shipley-Magee House, at 258 Beech Ave. The museum portion is furnished in a turn of the century style which reflects the life style of the early settlers of Carlsbad who once owned the house. Also, displays of Carlsbad and the surrounding agricultural community are housed here in order to educate the public. Historical gardens outside feature a nationally-registered Rose Garden, in addition to a Victorian Herb bed, a native Southern Californian bed, a Carlsbad commercial growers bed, and a Patriotic Red, White and Blue bed. It's a great way to spend an afternoon while in Carlsbad. The location is in easy walking distance of Ocean Palms Beach Resort, but here are driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to the Shipley-Magee House too.
- Carlsbad Marathon There are good reasons to visit the beachside village of Carlsbad in Southern California year-round. January is the annual Carlsbad Marathon. Many racers stay at Ocean Palms Beach Resort due to its close proximity to the race. Miles of paved roads with gentle slopes beckon avid runners like a well-tuned siren's song a sailor on the sea. [See the room types available at Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Carlsbad Premium Outlets Mall With 90 stores at the center and impressive savings to be had, visitors at Ocean Palms Beach Resort have often made the little treck to the Carlsbad Premium Outlets Mall whicch is located just a few freeway exits to the south on Interstate 5. There, shopaholics can check out Banana Republic, Barneys New York, Calvin Klein, Crate and Barrel, Juicy Couture, Kenneth Cole, Lacoste, Michael Kors, Polo Ralph Lauren, Salvatore Ferragamo, Theory, Tommy Hilfiger, and so much more. If you happen to be traveling with your furry best friend, this outdoor mall welcomes leashed pups. [Read more about pet-friendly Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Carlsbad Village Street Fair Sooner than you think this year will be the first of two Carlsbad Village Street Faires. The first will be the first Sunday in May, the second will be the first Sunday in November. Sponsored by the Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce, the event is widely recognized as the largest single day street fair in California. More than 100,000 people will take in the beauty of the seaside city while browsing through unique booths, indulging in delectable eats and enjoying family entertainment. It's held on Grand Ave., one block north of Carlsbad Village Drive, in easy walking distance of Ocean Palms Beach Resort and its comfortable, welcoming beachside accomodations. The Village Street Faire is a very memorable event, perfect for Southern California and Carlsbad-centered travel and vacation getaways. Visitors return season after season, year after year for this. It should be mentioned that Ocean Palms Beach Resort itself also welcomes repeat guests, year after year, and has a "same time next year" promotion that allows folks to "lock in" the current year's rate and get a five percent discount on a planned future stay. Learn more about the promotion here.
- Carlsbad Santa Fe Rail Station If you want to engineer a fun day trip, hop on an Amtrak or even the Coaster train and ride the rails from Carlsbad to the historic Santa Fe Depot in downtown San Diego. You will have a chance to see the historic Carlsbad train station, entered into the National Historic Register in 1972, which is still at its original location at State and Elm Streets. (It now serves as Carlsbad's Visitors Information Center and Chamber of Commerce office.) It is one of the few train stations nationwide that remains trackside, in close proximity to the newer station: commonly known as Carlsbad Village Station. Once riding on the rails, you'll see the equally historic Del Mar and Santa Fe stations. Santa Fe is at Kettner and Broadway in downtown San Diego. Be sure to ride the rails back to stay at Ocean Palms Beach Resort, just a few blocks away from the Carlsbad rail station and scant steps from the beach.
- Golf Courses
- Legoland: Carlsbad, California The 128-acre Park is designed specifically to appeal to families with children ages three to 12. The Park features roller coasters, LEGO-themed rides, interactive shows, hands-on attractions, LEGO-building play areas, and the famously breathtaking Miniland, restaurants, shopping, landscaped features and gardens. Ocean Palms Beach Resort is in driving distance of Legoland. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Legoland.] Ocean Palms Beach Resort is an ideal oceanfront location to stay at while visiting the Carlsbad area and Legoland. Child-friendly, it has a gated, protected pool and spa area and is located within steps of Carlsbad State Beach.
- Oceanside Harbor Days will be held September 29 - 30, 2012 (Saturday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.; Sunday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) at nearby Oceanside Harbor. Spectators can experience fun activities including the new Pirates Plunder exhibition, vintage pirate ships, children's area, Nail 'n' Sail Competition, Military, Police and Fire displays, and more. The harborside event is expected to attract 50,000 people this year alone. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Oceanside Harbor.]
- San Diego Botanic Garden: Encinitas, California Ocean Palms Beach Resort is in easy driving distance of San Diego Botanic Garden (formerly Quail Botanical Gardens) in nearby Encinitas. The longstanding garden retreat has four miles of trails on 37 acres. Admission is $12 for adults, $8 for Seniors, students and active military, Children ages three to 12, $6. Members; children ages two and under: FREE. Parking is $2 unless you arrive with four or more in the car, then it is FREE. We have found many vacationers who stay at Ocean Palms Beach Resort have a real appreciation for botanical wonders; look at our lovely, professionally landscaped and maintained Island-like grounds as a fine example of this appreciation, so we often recomemnd a visit to nearby San Diego Botanic Garden in nearby Encinitas. [Driving directions to San Diego Botanic Garden from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Temecula Wineries - 45 minutes away Take a ride on The Grapeline -- Temecula Valley's Wine Country Shuttle. It offers an insider's view of Southern California Wine Country aboard spacious deluxe shuttle coaches. Hop aboard at Ocean Palms Beach Resort; you'll enjoy hours of entertainment and "safe sipping." Public and private coaches are available from one of the finest Carlsbad hotel destinations: Ocean Palms Beach Resort.
- Tijuana, Mexico - One hour away Mexico has an active border town which entices partiers, shoppers and gourmets alike. It would be a missed opportunity to be staying at Ocean Palms Beach Resort in North County San Diego and not take advantage of its proximity to Tijuana, Mexico. Many visitors staying at our hotel will choose to make a day trip to Tijuana for the experience alone. Most businesses, shops and malls across the border operate from Monday to Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Ocean Palms Beach Resort is three blocks from the "Coaster" Rail Station and just a 30-minute scenic coastal train ride to the exciting attractions of San Diego including the Gas Lamp District, Petco Park, Old Town, and Seaport Village. Just a bit further is the U.S.-Mexico border which can be walked across. U.S. residents can easily cross the border and return with a simple driver's license or passport to prove their residency and regain access to the United States.
- Village By the Sea - Shopping Seaside shopping is always pleasant, and in Carlsbad, you'll find our location and shops do not disappoint. In walking distance of Ocean Palms Beach Resort, you will find a new shopping area filled with lovely shops and pampering personal care spas. Our visitors recommend the area to others and return on a regular basis to enjoy the area's enchantments. We hear rave reviews from visitors about the local chocolate bar, coffee shops, the local Irish shop, a British shop, antiques, and a host of specialized home-decor outlets that they like to frequent while visiting Carlsbad Village. Some of the decorative items we feature at Ocean Palms Beach Resort even come from the area and are available for sale at our own property so visitors can bring a little bit of the decorative magic that is found at the Ocean Palms Beach Resort to their own homes. Visitors can purchase what they'd most like to enjoy a dear reminder of their Carlsbad and Ocean Palms Beach Resort vacation experience year-round.
- Watersport Rentals nearby Got watersports in mind? Ocean Palms Beach Resort is an ideal base to stay at as you choose from numerous daylong watersports events to witness or participate in. Kayaking and Jet Ski rentals courtesy of Boat Rentals of America as well as charter boat and surf rentals can be found in nearby Oceanside Harbor Village. [Directions to Oceanside Harbor Village from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.] This idyllic setting offers virtually limitless numbers of ocean activities in a colorful, quaint environment.
We hope this list of area attractions and given you some ideas for your next beachside vacation getaway in Carlsbad, California. Whether you are planning a family vacation, a day with friends, or a couple’s getaway, you’ll find all the fun and adventure you need in Carlsbad. The perfect place to stay? One of the area's finest, oft-recommended hotels: Ocean Palms Beach Resort. [See the room types available at Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
Local Activities: Oceanside, California Area Events and Activities
- Oceanside Beach Soak up the rays at this beach in nearby Oceanside. This beach, in easy driving distance of Ocean Palms Beach Resort in Carlsbad, offers a vast shoreline for tanning and building sandcastles. During the summertime, it's quite pleasant for swimming and other water sports. Surfers will find a home at this beach as well, with the summer surf averaging four to seven feet. Visitors at Ocean Palms Beach Resort who are travelling with their families have commented on the welcoming beach and picnic tables and barbecue areas that are available for visitor use. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Oceanside Beach.]
- Oceanside Harbor Ocean Palms Beach Resort is an ideal base to stay at as you choose from numerous daylong watersports events to witness or participate in. Kayaking and Jet Ski rentals courtesy of Boat Rentals of America as well as charter boat fishing exursions, whale watching, and surf equipment rentals can be found in nearby Oceanside Harbor Village. [Directions to Oceanside Harbor Village from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Oceanside Pier Located at the end of Pier View Way, Oceanside Pier is the fifth Oceanside pier at this same location for residents and visitors to enjoy. The first pier, built in 1888, was located at what is now Wisconsin Ave. The next five were built on the site where you'll find the current pier. Take the 25-cent shuttle to the restaurant at the far end for a meal or drink, or bring your fishing poles. No license is required to fish from the pier. Fishing from the Oceanside Pier is good for California halibut (spring and summer), sargo, jacksmelt, sculpin, white croaker, Pacific bonito, queenfish, Pacific barracuda (in summer), kelp and sand bass. Parking is good along the coast, and restrooms are readily available throughout. When you are done with your day, return to Ocean Palms Beach Resort for clean up, rest, and if you were lucky while fishing, you can use the kitchen that is in your mini-or luxury suite, even the romantic studio, to prepare your own freshly-caught fish. Gas barbecues are also available at Ocean Palms Beach Resort for guest use if you prefer an outdoor grill. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Oceanside Pier.]
Local Activities: Encinitas, California Area Events and Activities
- Downtown Encinitas is considered by many to be an “unspoiled and unchanged reminder of the era of Hwy 101.” The downtown area is reminiscent of the quiet, natural beach towns that existed prior to World War II and has the feel of earlier times, retaining its beachy, artsy, Hwy 101 culture. But in the 21st Century, it also has the bustle and boom of top retail shops, fine dining and cultural events and attractions that bring visitors from all over the region. [Driving directions to Downtown Encinitas from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Pannikin Fine coffee and tea purveyor Pannikin is housed in Encinitas' historic Santa Fe Railroad Station which was built in 1888. Check out their website. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Pannikin in Encinitas, CA.]
- Swami's Swami's Beach in Encinitas is a popular surfing beach with fantastic waves located below Seacliff Roadside Park, a region that includes a parking lot, public restrooms, set of scenic, wooden steps perched on a hill high above the Pacific Ocean and sand beach that are part of Swami's. Named for the Self-Realization Fellowship Retreat, Gardens and Hermitage located a few hundred yards north on Highway 101, this beach is a local favorite for surfing, in easy driving distance of Ocean Palms Beach Resort. On most mornings and evenings, visitors can stand on the steps and watch the surfers walk by in a steady stream. They take their surfing seriously at Swami's which holds a reputation for providing some of the best waves on the San Diego coastline. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Swami's.]
Local Activities: San Diego, California Area Events and Activities
- Airport - San Diego International - Lindberg Field Ocean Palms Beach Resort is an easy 42-minute drive from San Diego International Airport. You can also choose to use public transportation to get to Ocean Palms Beach Resort from the airport. Follow the signs inside the airport to “Ground Transportation.” At the curb outside the airport, look for the bus stop sign for the 992 MTS bus. Depart the bus at the Santa Fe Depot Station and purchase a COASTER ticket at the NCTD ticket vending machine on the platform. Go to Carlsbad. Exit from the Carlsbad rail station and walk three blocks to Ocean Palms Beach Resort where you can relax at one of Carlsbad's finest hotels located just steps from the beach.
- Balboa Park Easily access the beautiful environment that is Balboa Park from your home vacation base of Ocean Palms Beach Resort, one of Carlsbad's finest hotels. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Balboa Park.] Once at Balboa Park, you can see . Choose a Stay for the Day Passport ($39) to obtain maximum value for your admission dollar. It opens doors to 14 different museums including the San Diego Air & Space Museum, San Diego Art Institute - Museum of the Living Artist, San Diego Automotive Museum, San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum, San Diego History Center, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, San Diego Museum of Man, San Diego Natural History Museum, The San Diego Museum of Art and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center (admission includes one IMAX film). For information about Passport to Balboa Park group sales, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, (619) 231-1640 or visit their group travel page. For maximum information and hooked-in connectivity, search for “Balboa Park" in the App Store. The available free Balboa Park iPhone app features a daily event guide and information about all museums, gardens, restaurants, and other Park attractions.
- Cabrillo National Monument The location in the Point Loma area of San Diego celebrates the year 1542 when Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, the first European to set foot on what is now the West Coast of the United States, stepped from his boat. The park tells history of 16th century "New World" exploration, and showcases a wealth of cultural and natural resources that Ocean Palms Beach Resort visitors tell us they have enjoyed exploring. Be sure to check out the Old Point Loma Lighthouse which the Park Service has restored to its historic 1880s appearance. The lighthouse, a mere 422 feet above sea level overlooking the bay and the ocean, was rendered effectively obsolete when it was discovered that fog and low clouds too often obscured the light. On March 23, 1891, the light was extinguished and the keeper moved to a new lighthouse location closer to the water at the tip of the Point. The Old Lighhouse at Cabrillo National Monument still stands watch over San Diego, a sentinel to a vanished past. Ranger-led talks, displays, and brochures are available on-site to explain the lighthouse’s interesting past. [Driving directions to Cabrillo National Monument from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.] After a long day exploring the national park, be sure to return to the beautifully-designed rooms and suites at Ocean Palms Beach Resort. [See the room types available at Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Catalina Express Catalina Express takes visitors to Catalina in an hour with up to 30 daily departures year round from Long Beach, San Pedro or Dana Point (the latter is the closest jumping-off point for Ocean Palms Beach Resort visitors who want to experience our most beautiful, populated Channel Island in person).
- Fashion Valley This is the premiere location of one of San Diego's finest collections of stores, all assembled at a beautiful outdoor shopping center in San Diego's Mission Valley area. Easily accessed by Interstates 8 and 163, it has 200 stores and restaurants including an 18-screen movie theater. Five department stores at Fashion Valley include: Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdale's and JCPenney. Featured stores include: Ted Baker, Omega, Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton, Tory Burch, Coach, Juicy Couture, Hugo BOSS, Gucci, Henri Bendel and more. Restaurants include: The Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang's China Bistro, California Pizza Kitchen, Stacked Well Built, Love Boat Sushi and 12 distinct bistro cafes. You can reach Fashion Valley from the Ocean Palms Beach Resort via car [directions to Fashion Valley mall from Ocean Palms Beach Resort] and light rail/trolley. Take the Coaster from Carlsbad, exit in downtown San Diego at the Santa Fe Depot Station and get on the Blue Trolley to the Green Line trolley and exit at Fashion Valley mall. [Trolley website.]
- Gaslamp Quarter Take the Coaster from Carlsbad, exit in downtown San Diego at the Santa Fe Depot Station and walk to nightclub and restaurant-rich Gaslamp Quarter. It's the region's Victorian National Historic District, a perfect site to explore with friends or a special loved one. The Gaslamp Quarter has over 200 restaurants, bars, nightclubs and lounges, and countless boutiques, art galleries and shops to peruse, it's the playground of hip, eclectic San Diegans and an elite urban destination.
- Horton Plaza Take the Coaster from Carlsbad, exit in downtown San Diego at the Santa Fe Depot Station and walk to or get on the Blue Trolley to Horton Plaza. There are 115 stores to explore!
- Mission Bay Park Mission Bay Park is the largest man-made aquatic park in the country, consisting of 4,235 acres, approximately 46 percent land and 54 percent water. The park offers a wide range of recreational activities including paths for walking and jogging, and playgrounds for children. It is one of San Diego's most popular locations to fly a kite, picnic or sail a model yacht. Fire rings make it possible to cook out and stay warm. Mission Bay Park also offers a variety of free opportunities to the public such as professional volleyball and Over-the-Line sporting events. Travelling with your furry best friend? Some areas in Mission Bay Park allow dogs to be on leashes, other areas such as Fiesta Island are leash free. Watch for posted signs. Ocean Palms Beach Resort welcomes pets in their rooms and leashed on the grounds. [Read more about pet-friendly Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Mission San Luis Rey
The museum houses exhibits relating to the colorful history of Mission San Luis Rey de Francia. Its collections include artifacts from Native American, Spanish Mission, Mexican Secularization, and American Military periods. The Museum is open for self-guided tours daily (except major holidays, call ahead: 760-757-3651). Adults, $5; Seniors, $4 (65 plus); Youth, $3 (ages 6 through 18); Active Military and dependents, free-of-charge; Ages 5 and under: free-of-charge.
- Old Town Take the Coaster from Carlsbad, exit in downtown San Diego at the Santa Fe Depot Station and get on the Blue Trolley to the Old Town station. [Trolley website.]
- Palomar Observatory The Palomar Observatory is an astronomical research facility about an hours' drive away from Ocean Palms Beach Resort. Public Information Recording: (760) 742-2119
- PETCO Park - San Diego Padres See the Padres play at PETCO Park or take a behind-the-scenes guided tour, either way you will get to see the beautiful park at is best. It's well known for having one of the best sight lines in baseball with breathtaking views of San Diego proper.
- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center seeks to inspire lifelong learning by furthering the public understanding and enjoyment of science and technology and it does so in increasingly entertaining, captivating ways. It's science center, IMAX theater, shop and cafe give lots of reason to dawdle, learn. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Balboa Park.]
- Qualcomm Stadium - San Diego Chargers
- San Diego Fair Grounds and Race Track Located at 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, (858) 755-1141, this is one place where some of the finest thoroughbreds ever to grace a track have raced to victory. The track was built in the late 1930s, with Bing Crosby supplying both funds and fame to create the glorious equestrian facilities that continue to delight race and horse fans to this day. The structures at the Fairgrounds are built in the style of various California missions, and careful attention to detail in the environment has created possibly the most beautiful permanent indoor-outdoor exhibition facilities in the state. This is where the San Diego Fair shines each summer (most locals still call it the Del Mar Fair, so don't be surprised). [See the San Diego Fair website here.]
- Seaport Village If you are staying at Ocean Palms Beach Resort, getting to Seaport Village, a 14 acre waterfront shopping, dining and entertainment complex, is an easy task. Simply walk three blocks to the Carlsbad station, take the Coaster to downtown San Diego and exit at the Santa Fe Depot Station. Walk to Seaport Village. A bit of historical perspective: Seaport Village is built on landfill over Punta de los Muertos (Point of the Dead) where the Spanish expedition of 1782 buried those who had died of scurvy. In later years it was a railroad yard where goods and other products were unloaded from ships and loaded aboard trains for shipment east. The harbor-setting perfect Seaport Village broke ground in 1978 and opened in 1980.
- Sea World Extended Spring hours are at Sea World, one of San Diego's signature attractions and a "must do" for most visitors. The bayside park is located just a 38 minutes south on the freeway from Ocean Palms Beach Resort. [Directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Sea World.] Two of the new attractions Ocean Palms Beach Resort visitors will enjoy at Sea World are special evening events Shamu Rocks and Sea Lions LIVE, both part of the new Spring into Night event. Look out for new special seasonal events offered by the park to come at Sea World's website.
- San Diego Convention Center This is THE place to see consumer shows such as the Bridal Bazar (August 12, 2012), San Diego Fall Home Show (August 24-26, 2012), the San Diego Quilt show (September 13-15 2012), industry-specific medical meetings (year-roud), and geek-festivals such San Diego Comic Con (July 12-15, 2012). See the frequently updated Events Calendar for upcoming events to coincide with your Carlsbad, CSA vacation visit. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to San Diego Convention Center.]
- San Diego Harbor Excursion Whale watching, harbor tours, floating brunches, and a host of wedding receptions, these are a few of the lovely San Diego events that happen on the beautiful harbor. With San Diego's jewel-like downtown skyline a-twinkle, a sunset cruise is a highly memorable experience for visitors and locals alike. In fact, the San Diego Harbor Excursion website says they were recently voted number five in San Diego's top 15 tourist attractions in San Diego. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to San Diego Harbor Excursion.]
- San Diego Zoo The World Famous San Diego Zoo has a brand-new attraction: Polar Bear Plunge to ooh and ahh over, plus its standard fare of exotic animals in beautiful environments. Check out some of the newest Zoo experiences, including KinderNights April 13, 20, and 27, KinderTots, April 14, 21, and 28, and Twilight Trek April 27. [Driving directions to the San Diego Zoo from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
- Wild Animal Park (Now known as Safari Park) has news: Butterfly Jungle is in flight at the Safari Park through April 15. Standard experiences not to be missed are the Behind-the-Scenes Safari, Caravan Safari and Cart Safari (all running daily). Check the park schedule to see if your visit to Ocean Palms Beach Resort happens to coincide with Mother's Day Brunch, or An Evening with Joan Embery. Check out the special events page here. [Directions to Safari Park from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.]
Local Activities: Los Angeles, California Area Events and Activities
"Local Activities: Carlsbad, Local Activities: San Diego, Local Activities Oceanside, Encinitas, Los Angeles area events and activities."
- Disneyland The park itself, contained within the greater confines of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, has been a Southern California tradition since 1955. Walt Disney's park is long-recognized as the happiest place on earth for young and old, big and small. Throughout the year, the park has a number of special events that may coincide with your stay at Ocean Palms Beach Resort, including Grad Night, the traditional rite of passage for high school graduates, the bewitching Halloween Time at Disneyland park, and the always memorable Holidays at the Disneyland Resort. Be sure to visit sister park California Adventure and the ever-evolving Downtown Disney District. It's a week's worth of enterainment in driving distance of Ocean Palms Beach Resort! [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Disneyland.]
- Knotts Berry Farm Driving to Knott's Berry Farm, America’s First Theme Park, is easy from Ocean Palms Beach Resort. [Directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Knott's Berry Farm.] There, you will find a host of thrill rides, some down-home vittles (Mrs. Knott's Chiken Dinner is a must-experience) and every now and again, a special event to tickle your fancy. Here are a couple: April 22, 2012: 27th Annual "Fabulous Fords Forever!" Car Show; and May 18-19, 2012: Knott's Girl Scout Overnight Adventure.
- Magic Mountain The biggest of the Six Flags properties across the nation, Magic Mountain is located north of Los Angeles. It's perhaps best known for its outstanding thrill rides (see park map) followed by its sheer acrage (260 acres!). It's a real roller-coaster paradise with 17 acive coasters, tying share the record with Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. It has wooden coasters, twin-rail dual coasters, suspended coasters, and stomach-churning X2 which pitches riders in forward and reverse somersaulting maneuvers while harnessed in seats operating on a completely separate axis from the track. [Driving directions from Ocean Palms Beach Resort to Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA.]
- Universal Studios Hollywood has heart-pounding rides, shows and attractions that put visitors inside some of the world’s biggest movies. Drive there from Ocean Palms Beach Resort.